Eyeshadow Tips for Beginners
1. Watch youtube gurus. Yes indeed. I’ve been wearing makeup for almost 14 years, but you know what? Everything I know about makeup I learned in the last year by watching my favorite gurus. Watch and you’ll learn. I promise. I started by finding someone who kind of looks like me, but since then I’ve expanded to include gurus of every ethnicity, so don’t limit yourself. Find someone you like and do what she does. You’ll learn, in time, I promise.
2. Get an eyeshadow palette to start with. BH Cosmetics, NYX Cosmetics, TMART.COM, and Coastal Scents all offer great quality affordable eyeshadow palettes you can start with. Of course, I’m also a big fan of wet n’wild palettes as well. If you’re in the UK, I hear SLEEK shadows are great too.
3. Get a mirror like this one: Conair Lighted Mirror. Makeup can look crazy depending upon the lighting so it’s good to have a lighted mirror with a day and night settings so you can see how your makeup might look during the day at work or school versus a night out with the girls. We’ve all seen pics like this:
and I don’t ever EVER want this to be you!
4. Get some cheapo make-up brushes. At a minimum you will need brushes like this:
|Small Concealer Brush. Perfect for cleaning up mistakes|
|Flat shadow brush. Used to place shadow all over the lid.|
|Small Angled brush perfect for highlighting beneath the brow|
|Small angled brush used to place shadow on the lower lash line.|
4. Get a flesh toned eyeshadow to use to help you transition from one color to the next. You want your shadows to transition seamlessly! No shadow handy? Use your face powder. For my skin tone, I use Sally Girl’s ” chocolate shadow” available at Sally’s beauty supply. Mac’s “Saddle” is great, but more expensive.
5. Eye shadow primer. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT place shadow on your lids without it. Without primer you’re wasting your time. Your shadow will just slide off of your lids. My favorite inexpensive primers are:
|NYX HD Shadow base|
|E.L.F. Primer retails for $1|
6. Last, but not least DON’T BE SCARED! Makeup is supposed to be fun and it is temporary. It comes off with soap and water. I promise. I mess up all the time. Don’t freak out. You’ll do fine. Now go out, do your makeup, and post pics to my facebook page wall so I can see your stuff!
For more tips and tricks watch this video!
Well Hello! My name is Lisa and you’ve stumbled upon my own little corner of the world. I’m a lipstick-loving, high heel junkie, mom, and wife. When I’m not here bringing you the latest in beauty, fashion, hot topics, and bits and pieces of my life with my family, you can find me over on youtube swatching lipsticks and sharing my latest natural hairstyles. Make sure you also follow me on Instagram and Snapchat under my brand name Lisa A La Mode. I’m a real person. I promise.