I received the First Light Priming Filter, the Soft Kabuki Brush, and the Soft Light Blurring Powder from Influenster and Becca Cosmetics for review. The primer and powder claim to fill pores, even skin, and provide a natural luminous glow throughout the day. As an oily girl, I’ve often kept my distance from primers that illuminate the face, because my skin does that all by itself. But since this was given to me for review, I went full force and tested the primer on its own. I also used the brush provided to apply the setting powder. I wore the products for 6 hours before giving my final thoughts on each one. No touch ups of course, because I wanted to see how long my oily skin would remain radiant rather than KFCesque!
So here’s the 411
- The primer helps with evening skintone. I noticed a difference. Nothing miraculous though.
- The powder has a nice undertone. Will work with a lot of skintones.
- The powder blurs pores and tones down skin without completely eliminating it.
- The primer must be used sparingly if you’re oily. Will be fine to use alone if you’re normal/dry
- The powder is ideal for oily skin. Provides natural glow without the primer
- Using the primer alone left me oily after 3 hours with no touchups
- Using the powder alone left me with a natural glow for up to 6 hours with no touchups
The Final Verdict?
The powder. GET THE POWDER.
I’m down for the idea of an illuminating filter mixed in with my more mattifying primers. I cannot wear the First Light Priming Filter on its own. If you’re oily, I would mix it with your matte primers or skip it all together. As for the powder…she’s bae. I love the powder so much, ya’all! The brush is cute, I’m here for it. It’s soft enough not to move your foundation but also sturdy enough to properly buff in the powder. Check out my before and after pics below.
I’m a 30-something, fun loving blogger who enjoys makeup, plus size fashion, and all things girly, glam, and fabulous! I am a naturalista as well as an advocate for paleo eating (AIP). While much of my focus is on beauty, I will be chronicling my weight loss and diet, as well as my natural hair journey. I hope that I can inspire women to give themselves some TLC. Life is so fleeting. We have to remember to take time to enjoy it.