Pat McGrath Lust MatteTrance Lipsticks Review + Swatches on Dark Skin
Last month, one of my beauty editors spilled the tea on the much anticipated MatteTrance Lipsticks created by world renown celebrity makeup artist, Pat Mcgrath, aka “MUVA,” I know Amber Rose likes to call herself that, but come on, when you are paid to beat the faces of the likes of Naomi Campbell there can only be one Muva, and it’s the OG, Pat McGrath.
If you prefer to just skip to my video review watch below:
I ordered the Everything Kit, which featured all 9 of the Matte Trance Lipsticks for $275. Yes, 9 lipsticks for $275. You can buy the lipsticks individually for $38, Or in Trios for $95. Make no mistake, these are a luxury item, much like Chanel, YSL, or Tom Ford. These are limited edition and can be purchased HERE atSephora while supplies last.
- Super cute and solid packaging. I feel like a rich b*itch every time I reach into my purse to put one of these on
- Every single color is flattering to my skin tone. While one or two may require the use of a lip-liner, on the whole, they look bomb on my skin tone. Here are some swatches on lighter skin:
- Very light and comfortable formula
- 5+ hours of wear if you aren’t eating or drinking
- Look even more luxurious when coated with a clear lipgloss
- It’s a black-owned business so all colors look bomb on black women. Pat knows her stuff
- Not enough stand-out colors, all but 2 of these are pretty traditional, safe colors, you can pick up from cheaper brands, like Wet n Wild’s Catsuit Lipsticks which I reviewed HERE and HERE. While the Catsuits are liquid lipsticks, they dry down matte, and have colors that are close to some featured here. I have listed, below, the closest dupes I was able to find in my collection
- Media outlets including this site, sold us on the whole “secret selfie mirror” in the packaging, but ain’t no secret mirror in this bih. The gold lips on the cover offer a fuzzy, reflection, and that’s about it.
- Some colors, particularly the red shade require several coats for full coverage. The red shade, in fact, wasn’t pigmented enough for my bottom lip, so i would recommend muting out the natural color of both your bottom and top lip with a concealer before applying the lipstick for optimal coverage
Please note that I placed these lipsticks on my lips one after the other, and as result, these images do not reflect the true matte finish of these lipsticks. Once the lipsticks dry down, which takes a minute or two, they are truly matte and not glossy as some of these appear.
Skin Show Trio
Omi (Mid-tone Rose)
Possible Dupe: Coloured Raine’s Matte Lip Paint in Mars pictured below. Bear in mind the lighting was different, and the formula is different, but the colors are close. See my full review of Coloured Raine (another black-owned brand) Lippies HERE.
1995 (Warm Light Nude)
No Dupes Found
Colour Blitz Trio
Elson (Blue Red)
Possible Dupe: NYX Liquid Suede in “Cherry Skies” Purchase Here.
Obsessed! (Bright Orange Red)
Possible Dupe: Mac Cosmetic Lady Danger. Buy HERE
Full Panic (Bright Fuschia)
VICIOUS VENOMS TRIO
McMenamy (Deep Burgundy)
Deep Void (Deep Blackened Purple)
Possible Dupe: Too Faced Melted Matte Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Evil Twin. Purchase HERE.
Antidote (Magenta Violet)
Antetdote Dupe: Anastasia beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Vintage purchase HERE.
So are these worth the price tag? I would say, it depends. If you are into luxury everything, yes. Especially since a few of these colors aren’t all that dupable. These fly off the shelves so if you want to purchase these do so today by clicking HERE. But if you’re not a collector or makeup addict, save your coins.
What say you folks? Worth it or Nah?
Well Hello! My name is Lisa and you’ve stumbled upon my own little corner of the world. I’m a lipstick-loving, high heel junkie, mom, and wife. When I’m not here bringing you the latest in beauty, fashion, hot topics, and bits and pieces of my life with my family, you can find me over on youtube swatching lipsticks and sharing my latest natural hairstyles. Make sure you also follow me on Instagram and Snapchat under my brand name Lisa A La Mode. I’m a real person. I promise.