I am a woman of a certain age. And yes, I know, I don’t look the part, but trust me, I have the gray hairs and the agita to prove it.
I am also a full-time content creator/writer, boss, wife, mother, sister, friend, all o’ dat. It’s a lot, but life is a lot. And when you get to the ripe old age of Grown AF, you learn to cope and carry on. You would never, in a million years, know by looking at me what I have endured and continue to endure (you can read about that HERE), but there’s a method to my madness. You ready?
Here is my black girl’s guide to being over 30 and Fly AF:
- Give no damns. That’s right, ladies! Who gon’ check you, boo?
- Be unapologetic in the pursuit of that which sets your soul on fire. You are in control of far more than you realize, and once you focus on what you can control, as opposed to the stuff that is out of your hands, you WILL find joy.
- Be not afraid. Seriously, what is the worst thing that can happen by facing your fears? You’re grown. No one is gonna spank you. You don’t have to worry about eating lunch alone. Do you.
- Love everything about yourself. Even the sh*t you wish you could change. From your fat back to the corns on your feet. Love that shit.
- Never let them see you sweat. For instance, at my last place of employment one of my my co-workers hated the job. We all did. Who the hell likes her office job? Nobody. But ole girl wore her discontentment on her sleeve. She’d roll up in that office looking half-dead, but not me. Sure, I’d sometimes find myself weeping silently in the bathroom stall, but I keeps my visine on deck, boo boos. Ain’t no way, I’m ever, going to let people who do not wish me well to see me downtrodden and defeated. No ma’am. Not today, and not ever. And last but not least:
- Fuck it. All that stuff that stresses you out? The regret. The people who don’t love you the way you need. The ungrateful family members. The folks who want to stay mad. Eff it. With the state of the world as it stands, I do not think it’s am exaggeration to say that we are on the cusp of some scary ish. How much time are you going to waste not devoting yourself entirely to self-improvement?
- Buy the Lipstick (Click HERE to see my favs for fall)
Lather yourself in shea butter every single day. Its a natural properties work to preserve your black girl magic.
Well Hello! My name is Lisa and you’ve stumbled upon my own little corner of the world. I’m a lipstick-loving, high heel junkie, mom, and wife. When I’m not here bringing you the latest in beauty, fashion, hot topics, and bits and pieces of my life with my family, you can find me over on youtube swatching lipsticks and sharing my latest natural hairstyles. Make sure you also follow me on Instagram and Snapchat under my brand name Lisa A La Mode. I’m a real person. I promise.