Welcome to my little corner of the universe. My name is Lisa and I am a journalist by trade, however, you won’t find much of what I learned in Journalism school over here on the blog. I think what I learned as a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College’s Writing program (I have an MFA in Nonfiction) maybe kinda-sorta prepared me to be the shit stirrer I’ve become.
Here’s What You Should Know
This site is in a season of transition. It began as my own beauty and style diary almost 4 years ago, however, I’ve decided that the last thing the world needs is another pretty beauty blogger with all the pretty things. The truth is, life ain’t pretty, and most of us are fumbling our way through while trying to remember to brush our teeth and wash behind our ears.
I am firmly in my mid-30s, and life on the side of the fence ain’t nothin’ like what they told us it would be. Hell, I spent my 20s longing for the stability of full-on adulthood. The amazing powerhouse career, money for fabulous yearly vacations, marriage, home, kids, all of it, and now that I’m here I feel conned. Weren’t we conned, ladies? I mean, we’re grateful, of course, but this life ain’t easy! Here is where we will lay our burdens down, and talk, and laugh, and vent, and rage against all the fallacies we’ve been sold while keeping our backs straight and our hair on fleek. We will discuss the latest and greatest in makeup tutorials for black women, makeup tutorials for dark skin, fashion, black women who are winning, and we’ll discuss current topics that relate to us. This life don’t love us, but here, on this platform, is where we will learn to love it. There is no shame here. No guilt here. It is what it is, and what it is beautiful.
Also, before I am a mother, a wife, a sister, a friend, I am a black woman. So when you visit this site, you should come prepared to read my perception of things from the viewpoint of a Black Feminist. Now, I’m not asking you to agree with me all the time, on the contrary, I welcome your comments that may allow me to see things from your point of view. I won’t, however, be silenced or policed.
Be prepared for cursing, African American vernacular, and a sprinkle of petty every now and again.
Now if you strictly want beauty and fashion content I encourage you to subscribe to my Youtube channel HERE, where I upload that sort of thing a few times a month.
Random Facts About Me
- I am of Haitian descent.
- My husband is of Jamaican Descent
- We have one son, Jackson Blaise (we call him JB for short, and I get SUPER annoyed when people ignore the Blaise part of his name and call him Jackson. Don’t make me have to correct you).
- I live outside of Boston, MA
- While I technically grew up in MA, I spent my 20s as a NYC resident, and I credit New York with raising me.
- I am a firm advocate for Mental Health and Mental Health Awareness. You can read about it HERE.
- I LIVE for fashion and makeup. I have aspirations of starting my own cosmetics line, but I keep talking myself out of it.
- I am somewhat of an introvert. I’m not socially awkward, but I prefer my solitude.
- I get super antsy when people from the internet tell me they’d like to meet me in person because I have no perception of how you view me and I’m convinced I’d disappoint you.
Thanks again for reading this post, and again, for visiting my blog. I hope you stay a while!